Friday, October 06, 2006

Are you toxic?

Lately I've been spending a lot of time with friends, new and old. Whether it be happy hour, going to movies, Monday Night football, or emailing back and forth. To me just spending time doing nothing but laughing is some of the best forms of therapy there is. I read somewhere for every hour you laugh adds another day onto your life and those that know me know that I try my best to make light of each situation in some way. I have always believed that life is much too short to be taken too serious. On that, I read something lately that really intrigued me. It has to do with a gent named Fritz Perls who was one of the leaders of Gestalt Therapy. In it he states that in all relationships each person could be either toxic or nourishing to one another. Not that each person would be the same in every relationship, but the combo of any two people in a relationship produces toxic or nourishing consequences. He went on to say that there is a test to check if someone is toxic or nourishing in your relationship with them. Once you have spent time with a person, no matter what it is you have spent that time doing, observe whether you are more energized or less energized. Whether you are tired or whether you are exhilarated. If you are more tired after than you were before, you have been poisoned. If you have more energy, then you have been nourished. I have used this test the last couple times i've gone out with friends and it works. I'm fortunate enough to say that I have yet to be poisoned, which makes me lucky enough to have a good bunch of friends.

Lyrics from a song i've been listening to.

Star Mile: Joshua Radin

Oh doubt in the girl by your side
She's feeding your pride As you go for a ride
down the star mile
Worlds arise as she lets you come in
A duo begins To the Hollywood din of lonely
And all the gold dust in her eyes won't reform into rain
You had and lost the one thing You kept in a safe place
Remember the face Of the girl who made you her own
And how you left her alone
All's well at the base of the hill
You might need to fill
a prescription to kill
off the silence.
Look down from your tower on high
and take in the night Look her right in the eye
She'll listen
Life comes to those that are true
The regular news
Over playing the blues
with the light on And if you burn
the road that'll lead you back to her in time
I'll watch you turn to stone
Can't find the sublime
She's moving on without you
The tide breaks
You watch the stars fade
They gather you back to their home
I guess it's better than being alone
I miss you.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Wrider said...

I'm intrigued with the whole toxic/nourishing thing. I can relate that to positive/negative energy that people exude. I've seen it work too many times not to believe it doesn't exist. I often listen to the person(s) I'm with for signs of negativity. A negative person will never have anything good to say. They will always find the bad to bring up. After awhile that sort of thing brings you down. Way down.

Those lyrics are interesting.

Great post. =)

Friday, October 06, 2006 9:42:00 AM  
Blogger Turquoise Sails said...

I love songs like that.

then again, why do we need to "think" so much? why can't we just live our lives simply, maybe even each day at a time? and then whoever comes along won't seem so complex anymore.

am i even making any sense? lol.

Friday, October 06, 2006 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger birdman said...

how does this relate to our deep love for each other poopy bear???

You are the wind benath my wings!!!

You are TOTALLY GAY for listing and song by Joshua Radin!!!

Friday, October 06, 2006 3:09:00 PM  
Blogger AvMan said...

No, you are gay for not listening to Him Birdman. Yes, Abs you make perfect sense. I knew you'd be with me on this one wrider.

Monday, October 09, 2006 8:27:00 AM  
Blogger NotTheDoctor said...

Awesome post - I will have to try this test out.

Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home