Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A light

I wanted to post something positive today. My last few posts have been complete downers and I wanted to change that. I was able to talk to my Aunt Brenda the other night for quite a while. I love talking to her, she's one of the few people that get me and at the same time keeps me in line from all of my bullshit(and everyone knows i'm full of it). My Aunt is married to my Uncle Brad, who is my dad's brother and a huge influence on my life. Well we got on the discussion on how they met and she brought up a lot of things that I had forgotten about over the years, as I was 17 when all this happened. The story of how they met and ended up together is one of the best stories real or not to hear. I've decided to recite it here, just the quick version. don't know if it will be totally accurate, but it'll be close enough.

Both my Aunt Brenda and my Uncle Brad were in marriages with people they had been with since high school. Both divorced in their late twenties, early thirties. After their divorces, My Aunt had moved back into her parent's house soon after and was in the process of finishing school to be an RN. She had pretty much written men off at this point and just worried about raising her two girls on her own. My Uncle, who was the superintendant for his ex father in law's construction company, moved into my grandparents house. My uncle, forever the optimist, was visibly void of optimism for a very long time.

In the summer of that year, his best friend for many years, invited him to a party at their neighbors house. The reason for the Party was partly to introduce my uncle to the neighbors sister, my Aunt. My Uncle went to the neighbor's party and met my Aunt and had small conversations with her, though neither of them thought twice about it. Well, during this party, my Uncle's ex or soon-to-be Ex showed up completely by suprise. My uncle spent pretty much the rest of the party with her, talking and just being the gentleman that he is. He made sure that if she needed anything she got it, and he carried her plate away when she was done. This was noticed by everyone, even my Aunt who took notice. a lot of people came up to the sister and apologized as they didn't know the ex would be there. She told everyone that that was no reason to apologize and that he should spend time with the person that he cares about.

Flash Forward 5 months to halloween of that year. My Uncle and his wife had finally filed for divorce and my uncle was getting on with his life. He had a big party to go to and i helped him get ready for it. It was a great costume. A complete black monks outfit with a large hood. We painted his face up to look like a skeleton. It was guaranteed to keep the women away. My Uncle shows up at the house and who goes to answer the door, yup, my Aunt of course, Does she open it? Nope. She looks out the peep hole and see's a fairly large strange looking man dressed like a creep. She walkes in to her sister and said there is some stranger at the door and she's not going to answer it. They get re-introduced and spend time talking throughout the evening.

I don't know who asked who out but they eventually ended up spending a LOT more time together. Many nights spent sitting in a vehicle talking about what they want out of life and don't want out of life. They seemed to have hit is off from the start and had a lot in common. My Aunt's biggest deal was her kids. She had to have someone that not only got along with her kids and whom her kids got along with, but someone whom her kids had respect for. My Uncle was that guy.

They spent the next 9 - 12 months together, some weekdays, but mostly weekends. My Cousin and I would do a lot with them when able as we were on my uncle's construction crew. One day my Uncle came to her house with a ring and blueprints for a house of their own together and asked her to marry him. She of course said FO SHO, or maybe it was yes, can't remember the story that well.

They've been married now for 16 years(or so) and Though they've had their ups and downs, they have been through it all. They moved from SoCal to Kansas approx 12 years ago to raise their family. They have two kids of their own but they are all four their children. They even have two grand kids(HAHAHA, they're grandparents. didn't hit me until now). They've always been a source of hope for me during the bad times. Knowing that each of them gave up on life in their own way, and yet were able to find each other makes me realize that, somehow, someway, there is hope for me(and others) in this world.

6 Comments:

Blogger the mama said...

:-)

great post! see you made me smile again!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger the mama said...

so is there hope for us??? I have certainly given up on life, but you have given me reason to smile. I told you I would, and I will smile and hold my head up. It's time, right???

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:31:00 PM  
Blogger birdman said...

Once again - I want to make a joke but I can't.. excellent story!

by the way - your TOTALLY GAY!!

ahhh I feel better.

The short version of my story - I was at this job from the time Office Depot opened -but the only person I remember them interviewing was my wife. I knew exactly what she was wearing, that she had a certain kid of purse etc....and I had only walked by while working. On her first day, I was already working in the back and I came up the aisle and she could see me from the front counter - The first time she saw me she told herself - I am going to marry that man someday. She had never seen me or spoke to me before that moment.

A few months into her working there, we were in an armed robbery at work after closing and we ended up talking on the phone for about 6 hours that night.

I was the chicken shit so she spilled the beans on liking me and the rest is history.

We have ups and downs to but we are still here.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger the mama said...

you have a good story... You and the wife are so cool. You are a poopy bear aren't you???

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 5:58:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great story!! Inspirational!!!

I too was down when I divorced my first husband, I didn't think anyone would want me & my son.

I met my current husband at a club. I didn't think it was serious, cuz COME ON I met him at a club....but He was a great guy, met his family. Dated for like a year, then I donated a kidney to my dad, when I woke up from surgery he was right there (drove from Temecula to LA to be there when I got out of surgery). He said that he knew at that moment (me all drugged up and barely awake) that he wanted to marry me.

We now have 2 of our own kids and he has been 'dad' to my oldest son since the day we moved in together. Just had our 4 yr anniversary & I am just as happy (if not more) than they day we were married. We've had some minor fights over the years but nothing major.

I believe true love does exist, you just have to be in the right place at the right time (and you might fumble along the way)

Friday, April 06, 2007 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger the mama said...

I guess AVman and I can only hope that we meet the right people at the right time in our lives... Your Mom - I think one of my biggest fears is that I have not only a teenager, but also my precious baby girl. I need to find someone up to the challenge of her and who loves her for who she is... Like I said who is gonna want a 38 year old with three kids. I know that right guy is out there.... You and Birdman are inspirations to me!

Friday, April 06, 2007 10:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home